The Terminus Hotel was established in 1892 by William Pengilley, son of Thomas Pengilley, the founder of the Birregurra Hotel.
Its location was convenient to the railway station and travellers. It also operated as a store and post office initially. It had two bars a dining room and nine bedrooms. The original timber hotel was rebuilt in the 1920’s. It burnt down in 1996 at which time the present structure was built. During the era of six o’clock closing locals can remember an after hours drinking area for favoured guests called ‘The Cupboard’. The hotel served for many years as the after game venue for the local football and cricket teams.
Forrest developed into a major sawmilling centre a few years after its foundation in the early 1890’s.
At first the mills were located in the bush to the south but after the devastating bush fire of 1939 were removed to the town. There were three town mills in Forrest and two others nearby at Yaugher and Barramunga.
In 1946, Alf Frizon bought a small sawmill plant from Daylesford, and set it up here. Alf and his sons, Frank, and later Cliff, operated this mill until 1972, when they took over Henry’s sawmill in Station Street (Site 7).
At its peak this mill was producing around 7000 super feet (16 cubic metres) of sawn timber a day.
The mill used a Blackstone 135hp marine diesel engine to run a twin saw breaking down bench, two ripping benches and a docking bench.
Annual Sports Day
Sport has always played an important part in the community life of Forrest. By mid 1890’s an annual sports day was organised in the paddock ahead, originally called Bartlett’s paddock but later it became known as Hurley’s. Hundreds of people arrived by special train to take part and observe the events which included foot running, wood chopping, sawing and tug of war.
But the ground was never provided with facilities and by 1926 sports events were moved to the present Yaugher Recreation Reserve.
To the right was the Pub Paddock where a Mr White charged 1 shilling per week for townspeople to graze their cows. Others simply roamed the streets. Cows were rounded up around 4pm, often by the children after school, and
taken home to be milked. They were kept in the house yard overnight. Behind the cow paddock was the popular township swimming hole.
Ref: Forrest Historical Society Pamphlet: Forrest History Walks